DIY: Liquid Probiotics
Never underestimate the importance of your gut health: It is inextricably linked to your mental and physical health. It originates from the same type of tissue as your brain, and is the location of 80% of your immune tissue. A healthy gut = a healthy mind and body.
There are around 100 trillion bacteria in your intestinal flora, which is more than ten times the amount of cells in your entire body! Of these trillions of bacteria, in a healthy body 80% will be ‘good’ bacteria and the other 20% ‘bad’ bacteria. The problem is that this optimum ratio is very often out of balance or even reversed.
The culprits behind gut imbalance include use of antibiotics, consuming processed foods and excess sugars, stress, pollution, pesticides, even the water coming from your tap. These factors can be hard to avoid and so your gut, and in turn your entire organism, suffers.
PROBIOTICS PROVIDE BALANCE
Probiotics are for life! (Literally: pro = for, biotic = life.) They help to maintain the balance of bacteria in your gut, which influences your overall pH balance. No disease can exist in a perfectly pH balanced body and there are over 200 studies that link probiotics to relieving more than 170 modern diseases and health problems.
Probiotics are friendly or ‘good’ bacteria that work by improving the balance of flora in the digestive system. They assist with digestion of food and absorption of nutrients. Furthermore, they stimulate the immune system, producing antimicrobial substances and fighting against invading microorganisms.
Probiotics are available in supplement form. However, these can be costly and their quality varies. A better option is to heal your gut the old fashioned away, with food! – Fermented foods to be precise. These are easy to make at home inexpensively and contain super high amounts of natural probiotics.
Take your pick from: sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kefir, live yoghurt, chicha de jora and rejuvelac.
REJUVELAC = SPROUTED GRAIN GOODNESS
Rejuvelac is a lightly fermented drink, full of natural probiotics, lactic acid, vitamins and minerals. Made from sprouted grains, this enzyme rich elixir is simple to prepare and easy to digest. It boosts the digestive system, cleanses the colon and increases overall health and vitality.
5 AMAZING BENEFITS OF DIY PROBIOTICS
Probiotics alleviate bloating, gas and indigestion, and naturally help to relieve the symptoms of serious digestive issues like irritable bowl syndrome. They can also enhance the absorption of certain vitamins in your food.
Scientists have confirmed that probiotics modify immune responses via the gut’s mucosal immune system, reducing inflammation in the body. They ward off infection and boost your immunity. Basically, drinking rejuvelac = no more colds, yay!
Just like the gut, the vagina has a delicate balance of good and bad bacteria. Probiotics can preserve this balance, preventing pesky yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis and urinary tract infections – especially helpful if you’re pregnant or taking birth control pills.
Studies show that the gut bacteria of obese people is very different from their leaner counterparts. It is great at turning calories into fat – not so great for losing those extra pounds. Probiotics can shift this bacterial balance, helping you to get slim and stay slim.
If your belly is happy, your brain is happy too. New research is showing that probiotics can have an incredible effect on the mind, reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression. Balanced gut bacteria is the key to staying stress free!
THE HAPPY BELLY RECIPE FOR REJUVELAC
1) Sprout Wheat Berries
Soak one cup of wheat berries in a jar overnight. The next morning, pour the wheat berries into a colander, drain off the old water and rinse. Place them back into the jar, making sure all excess water is drained off.
You should rinse the wheat berries twice a day. Sprouting takes one or two days – when a little tail appears on the wheat berry, they are ready!
2) Ferment the Sprouted Wheat Berries
Split the sprouted wheat berries into two glass jars and add three cups of water to each. Cover the jars with cheesecloth fixed with an elastic band or place their lids on loosely. Put the jars in a cool, dark place and stir the mixture with a wooden spoon once or twice a day.
2) Strain and store
The fermentation process should take about two days. The water will turn cloudy and white. When it smells like bread baking and tastes lemony, it’s ready! Strain the liquid into a clean jar and discard the wheat berries. Store your rejuvelac in the fridge where it will last around two to three weeks.
2) Mix it up
This recipe uses wheat berries, however you can substitute with other grains, for example quinoa, rye, buckwheat or millet. You can even use cabbage.