Spotlight: 3 Healing Herbals
A synergistic Trinity of plants
When blending herbs, essential oils or really any other plant medicine, I ‘m always drawn to work with both synergy and trinities. Synergy occurs when individual elements are more successful once they are joined together; in other words, when the sum is greater than the parts. The symbol of a triad or trinity is a symbol of the unity of body, mind and spirit. Triads are found throughout history all over the world. The following is a synergistic trinity of healing Peruvian herbals used in my detox programs.
Artichoke leaf (Cynara scolymus)
Peru is one of the world’s largest exporters of artichokes. The fruit of the artichoke plant is well known for it’s culinary value, yet In Peru the leaves are also used as a powerful healing herbal.
- Improves the livers elimination function and assists in bile production
- Protects and fortify’s the liver and is often used during recovery of a weakened liver or excess strain on the liver
- An excellent fat burner and useful in lowering cholesterol
- Contains high inulin fibre levels, it is a natural remedy for constipation that can so often result from drinking raw juice with no fibre
Manayupa (Desmodium Molliculum)
Manayupa is a ground creeping wild plant found in the highlands of Peru. The name comes from the Quechua word “Ranamanayupana” roughly translating to “Having more qualities than man can count”.
Manayupa is mainly recognised as a depurative herb: assisting with cleansing waste products and toxins form the body. Known in rural Peru as a staple natural medicine, it’s commonly used as a blood purifier and cleanser as it is supportive to both kidney and liver function. It is additionally recognised as a digestive aid, and as a treatment for stomach upset. It’s mild light flavour make it an easy drink for children’s upset stomach. It is also used to control seasonal allergies and rashes.
- Excellent cleansing herb: blood cleanser, liver and kidney support
- Used to treat acute and chronic gastritis.
Serves as an anti-inflammatory to the female reproductive system and the urinary tract
- Manayupa is a panacea herbal and a wonderful addition to our Detox Herbal Brew
Chanca Piedra (Niruri amarus)
Medicinal usage of this special plant has a long recorded history in Peru. This is the only herb of it’s kind, having a specific effect on de-calcification of the body. Calcification in the body is indicated by aches and pains, stiff joints, impaired brain function and of course the creation of gallbladder and kidney stones. Chanca Piedra translates literally to “Stone Breaker”. Calcification has been linked to inflammation in the body: the evil root cause of almost all known body imbalances. Another area of the body subject to calcification is the pineal gland, sometimes referred to as the third eye. Decalcification of the pineal gland can increase sleep quality, concentration, intuition, dream recollection and open up channels to cosmic intelligence. Chanca Piedra is also a respected liver and kidney tonic making it an excellent detox herb. Research has shown it can increase bile secretion in the gallbladder, which can lower cholesterol levels. As a liver supportive herb, it often used in Peru as support to Ayahuasca consumption that can be taxing to the liver.
- Detoxifies, protects and fortifies the liver and kidneys
- Mild diuretic, laxative and digestive aid
- Helps break up calcification in the body like gallstones and kidney stones
- Excellent accompaniment to any Detox Program or for people with regular alcohol consumption
- Considered one of the strongest healing plants of Peru due to its pain-relieving and antiviral effects
As you can see all three of these plants assist the body in a myriad of ways. It It is not by chance that the brew tastes nice, so ingesting daily during the protocol (or maintenance) is a pleasant experience.