DETOX 101 WITH WOMEN’S FITNESS UK
The following excerpt is taken from an interview with moi forWomen’s Fitness UK
What inspired you to get involved with detoxing?
I was searching for a system that would allow me to incorporate all the ways in which I had been trained and have practised in healing the body. I was already working with so many different types of healing modalities, and I wanted to create a programme that allowed me to go deeper, and in a more systematic way. This brought me to Kerala, India to study Pancha Karma, the Ayurvedic system of purification and detoxification of the body. This was the original “detox”, dating back 5000 years. I was beyond inspired.
What are some of the benefits of detoxing?
The elimination of toxins from the body affects every aspect of our wellbeing. The most commonly-reported results are appropriate weight loss, increased energy and focus, deeper sleep, better mood, glowing skin and brighter eyes. In general, you feel lighter, sexier and more connected to your body. You also feel powerful for fulfilling your commitment to yourself. One of my favourite testimonials ever was “I feel like a warrior now”. Yet maybe the most profound benefit is a new and improved relationship with food.
What advice would you give to people looking to easily start detoxing?
I would say: If you truly want to experience the benefits listed above, you have to really go for it and do it right. You have your whole life to enjoy decadent foods, to party and to relish all of life’s goodies. Work with someone who can guide and support you into a complete programme, embracing all the detox organs and systems. Work in harmony with your body’s constitution, with your schedule, stress load, family and work obligations. Make the process as enjoyable as humanly possible. Include as many luxurious treatments and experiences as you can. Incorporate walks in nature, visit with friends, hang out in saunas, get massages, take gorgeous long baths, and sleep as much as you can. Really let it happen and see for yourself how insanely good you feel from losing the toxic load. Oh yes, and trust the process.
What are the top 5 new detox methods for improving beauty?
- Beauty sleep: As much, as deep and as often as you can.
- Emotional release: A good detox will often result in the release of unwanted “toxic” emotional baggage. There is something beautiful in this type of release; the face looks at peace, relaxed and receptive, something we are all attracted to on a conscious and unconscious level.
- Good fats: For the skin, as well as the gut. Use ghee or coconut or avocado oil in the kitchen and in the bathroom, for luminous deeply nourished hair and skin.
- Healthy kidneys: A kidney cleanse can greatly reduce dark, puffy under-eye circles. Drink more kidney-supportive teas such as marshmallow, dandelion, ginger and turmeric.
- Bone broth: Although far from new (bone marrow has been used as medicine for thousands of years), the marrow in bone broth boosts collagen levels and helps rebuild tissues.
What are the top 5 new detox methods for boosting health?
- Get more sleep: Without proper sleep, all systems fail.
- Sweat: Utilise your largest organ of elimination, the skin. Start dry brushing or heat up from the inside in a far infrared sauna.
- Work the lymph: Our often-neglected lymphatic system is actually a natural detox system, but it needs to be kept lubricated to move toxins out. Sipping warm lemon water throughout the day is a great lymph-flushing practice.
- Aromatherapy, every day: Essential oils assist the nervous system, the lymphatic system, promote deep sleep and have both antibacterial and antibiotic qualities that assist the body in removing unwanted and noxious elements while fortifying and replenishing our very foundation.
- Get more alkaline: No disease can exist in an alkaline body, yet, as a whole, we are too acidic. Google “Acid alkaline food charts”, buy yourself some pH strips to test your acidity and bring more alkaline-forming foods into your diet.
What are the top 5 detox supplements (including juices & teas) that you would recommend?
- Fulvic Acid: A master detox mineral and a “driver” of other vitamins and minerals into the bloodstream.
- Milk Thistle: One of the most well-studied liver-supportive plants available.
- Aloe Vera: This plant supports every single cell in the human body.
- Chanca Piedra: A Peruvian herb that assists in breaking up calcification in the body, such as kidney stones, soothes the liver and increases bile production.
- Artichoke Leaf: Improves liver function, assists in bile production and is an excellent fat burner
It’s hard to choose only five since there are literally dozens of incredibly powerful ways to supplement the detox process! Please note that not all supplements are created equally, so it’s important to do your homework around reputable brands or get good referrals.
Why is detoxing important?
Detoxification of the body has been a documented alternative medicine practice for over 5000 years. This process was (and still is) used for two reasons: disease prevention and as the primary treatment for all bodily imbalances. In other words, we detox as both treatment and prevention. The modern approach to wellness is to go beyond eradicating symptoms to actually preventing illness. This brings the relevance of the detox practice full circle. Moreover, in today’s world, we are exposed to an unprecedented amount of toxins. Even “organic living” cannot protect us from environmental toxicity and the plethora of hidden chemicals we encounter every day.
How often should we be detoxing?
Ideally, we should thoroughly detox the body twice a year, with the change of the seasons, in fall and spring. Working in harmony with nature is always a good plan. You can always ramp up your detox practices after a period of excess food or alcohol or toxic exposure, or when you simply feel sluggish, pain-ridden or uncomfortable in your body.